Sometimes a perfect brown toast and nicely fried french fries is all you need to make your day better. But you might want to re-think your meal choices as British Scientists suggest that this can be cancer-causing. The Food Standards Agency says that starchy foods cooked at high temperatures for too long form acrylamide – a compound thought to be carcinogenic. So, Browned toasts can actually cause cancer.
Acrylamide is a chemical compound formed due to a chemical reaction between certain sugars and an amino acid (asparagine) in the food. The chemical has been classified as a neurotoxin and a carcinogen. At temperatures above 120C, long cooking times can increase levels of acrylamide even further. And so roasting, frying, baking, grilling and toasting as all heightening the cancer risk which means over-cooking can be threatening to your health.
What to do next?
The reports are not completely verified, only speculated but since precaution is better than cure, Here are few little harmless thing you can adopt.
- Ditch over-cooking and go for a golden yellow colour when toasting, frying, baking, or roasting starchy foods such as potatoes, bread and root vegetables
- Keep raw potatoes in a cool, dark place above 6°C.
- Follow the cooking instructions carefully when heating oven chips, pizzas and roast potatoes
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes five portions of vegetables and fruit per day as well as starchy carbohydrates.
- Cut down on consumption of crispy roasted potatoes.
- Boiling, steaming and microwaving are far healthier.
Featured Image: www.seriouseats.com/